TCS Placement Paper Whole Testpaper Not Specified-29 Jan 2010
Questions = 82 ; time limit = 90 minutes. no negative marking. Offline (paper & pen) test and a PSYCHOMETRY TEST also.
Section 1: VERBAL ( 32 Questions ,20 minutes )
Directions for questions 1-10:Find the synonyms of the following words
1. ADAGE A. advice B. proverb C. enlargement D. advantage
Ans: B2. TO DISPEL A. to dissipate B. to dissent C. to distort D. to disfigure Ans: A
3. ERRATIC A. unromantic B. unknown C. popular D. steady
Ans: B 4. TO MERIT A. to embrace B. to devote C. to deserve D. to combine Ans: C5. RAPT A. lively B. concealed C. engrossed D. prototype
Ans: B 6. TO HEAP
A. to pile B. to forbid C. to proceed D. to share
7. OVULATE A. penury B. immunize C. fertilize D. reproduce
A. Uniform B. homogenous C. monochrome D. Assorted
A. palliate B. Aggravate C. exacerbate D. None of these
A. Regret B. scruple C. qualm D. None of these
Directions for questions 11-20:Find the Antonyms of the following words
A. declining B. dilapidated C. waning D. thriving Ans: D
A. reject B. disclaim C. acknowledge D. renounce,
A. starve B. swamp C. deluge D. drown Ans: A
A. obstinacy B. irresolution C. firmness D. resolve
A. flippancy B. temperance C. moderation D. soberness
A. narrow-minded B. conservative C. prejudiced D. broad-minded Ans: D
A. vague B. imprecise C. precise D. hazy
A. catastrophe B. fiasco C. success D. shambles,
A. frank B. guarded C. open D. truthful
A. stick up B. sway C. suspend D. droop
Directions for Questions 21-26: Read the passage and answer the questions that follow on the basis of the information provided in the passage.
Educational planning should aim at meeting the educational needs of the entire population of all age groups. While the traditional structure of education as a three layer hierarchy from the primary stage to the university represents the core, we should not overlook the periphery which is equally important. Under modern conditions, workers need to rewind, or renew their enthusiasm, or strike out in a new direction, or improve their skills as much as any university professor. The retired and the aged have their needs as well. Educational planning, in their words, should take care of the needs of everyone.
Our structures of education have been built up on the assumption that there is a terminal point to education. This basic defect has become all the more harmful today, A UNESCO report entitled 'Learning to Be' prepared by Edger Faure and others in 1973 asserts that the education of children must prepare the future adult for various forms of self-learning. A viable education system of the future should consist of modules with different kinds of functions serving a diversity of constituents. And performance, not the period of study, should be the basis for credentials. The writing is already on the wall.
In view of the fact that the significance of a commitment of lifelong learning and lifetime education is being discussed only in recent years even in educationally advanced countries, The possibility of the idea becoming an integral part of educational thinking seems to be a far cry. For, to move in that direction means such more than some simple rearrangement of the present organisation of education. But a good begining can be made by developing open university programmes for older learners of different categories and introducing extension services in the conventional colleges and schools. Also these institutions should learn to co-operate with the numerous community organizations such as libraries, museums, municipal recreational programmes, health services etc.
21. What is the main thrust of the author ?
A) Traditional systems should be strengthened
B) Formal education is more important than non-formal
C) One should never cease to learn
D) It is impossible to meet the needs of everyone
E) There is no substitute for the extent system of education
22. Which of the following best describes the purpose of the author ?
A) To criticise the present educational system.
B) To strengthen the present educational practices
C) To support non-conventional educational organisations.
D) To present a pragmatic point of view
E) None of these
Ans : D
23.Which of the following is most nearly the same in meaning as the word 'meeting' as used in the passage.
A) Approaching B) Contacting C) introducing D) representing E) satisfying
24. Which of the following is most opposite in meaning to the word 'integral' as used in the passage.
A) essential B) independent C) major D) minor E) unwilling
25. According to the author, what should be the basis for awarding credentials?
A) Duration of the course
B) Competence of the course teachers
C) Diversity of the topics covered
D) Real grasp of matter or skill
E) Participation in community activities
26. According to the author, educational plan should attempt to
A) train the people at the core
B) encourage conventional schools and colleges
C) decide a terminal point to education
D) overlook the people on the periphery
E) fulfil the educational needs of everyone.
Ans : A
Directions 27-32 : Pick out the most effective word from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully complete.
27. .............you meet my son in the market, ask him to come home at once
A) Will B) While C) Should D) Would
Ans : C
28. Sanjay was sure..............getting a first class in the examination
A) at B) of C) on D) about
Ans : B
29. She seems offended .................my remarks
A) with B) for C) upon D) at
30. The mounting pressure was so overwhelming that he ultimately.................to her wish
A) agreed in B) cowed in C) gave in D) yielded in
31. He has no objection.................my proposal
A) to B) for C) in D) towards
32. Wash your hands.............water
A) from B) with C) by D) in
Section 2: QUANTITATIVE/LOGICAL REASONING ( 38 questions , 40 minutes )
1. Two Pencils 8 cents 5 Pencils cost
Ans: 20 cents
2. If 2x-y=4 then 6x-3y=? (a)15 (b)12 (c)18 (d)10 Ans. (b)
3. Pipe A can fill in 20 minutes and Pipe B in 30 mins and Pipe C can empty the same in 40 mins. If all of them work together, find the time taken to fill the tank (a) 17 1/7 mins (b) 20 mins (c) 8 mins (d) none of these Ans. (a)
4. Thirty men take 20 days to complete a job working 9 hours a day. How many hour a day should 40 men work to complete the job? (a) 8 hrs (b) 7 1/2 hrs (c) 7 hrs (d) 9 hrs Ans. (b)
5. A goat is tied to one corner of a square plot of side 12m by a rope 7m long. Find the area it can graze? (a) 38.5 sq.m (b) 155 sq.m (c) 144 sq.m (d) 19.25 sq.m Ans. (a)
6. Mr. Shah decided to walk down the escalator of a tube station. He found that if he walks down 26 steps, he requires 30 seconds to reach the bottom. However, if he steps down 34 stairs he would only require 18 seconds to get to the bottom. If the time is measured from the moment the top step begins to descend to the time he steps off the last step at the bottom, find out the height of the stair way in steps? Ans.46 steps.7. The average age of 10 members of a committee is the same as it was 4 years ago, because an old member has been replaced by a young member. Find how much younger is the new member? Ans.40 years.
8. ABCE is an isosceles trapezoid and ACDE is a rectangle. AB = 10 and EC = 20. What is the length of AE? Ans. AE = 10.
9.Three cards are drawn at random from an ordinary pack of cards. Find the probability that they will consist of a king, a queen and an ace. Ans. 64/2210.
10. A number of cats got together and decided to kill between them 999919 mice. Every cat killed an equal number of mice. Each cat killed more mice than there were cats. How any cats do you think there were ? Ans. 991
11. If Log2 x - 5 Log x + 6 = 0, then what would the value / values of x be? Ans. x = e2 or e3.
12. The square of a two digit number is divided by half the number. After 36 is added to the quotient, this sum is then divided by 2. The digits of the resulting number are the same as those in the original number, but they are in reverse order. The ten's place of the original number is equal to twice the difference between its digits. What is the number? Ans. 46
13. A monkey starts climbing up a tree 20ft. tall. Each hour, it hops 3ft. and slips back 2ft. How much time would it take the monkey to reach the top? Ans.18 hours
14. What is the missing number in this series?
15. A certain type of mixture is prepared by mixing brand A at Rs.9 a kg. with brand B at Rs.4 a kg. If the mixture is worth Rs.7 a kg , how many kgs. of brand A are needed to make 40kgs of the mixture? Ans. Brand A needed is 24kgs.
16. A wizard named Nepo says "I am only three times my son's age. My father is 40 years more than twice my age. Together the three of usare a mere 1240 years old." How old is Nepo? Ans. 360 years old.
17. One dog tells the other that there are two dogs in front of me. The other one also shouts that he too had two behind him. How many are they? Ans. Three.
18. A man ate 100 bananas in five days, each day eating 6 more than the previous day. How many bananas did he eat on the first day? Ans. Eight.
19. If it takes five minutes to boil one egg, how long will it take to boil four eggs? Ans. Five minutes.
20.Daal is now being sold at Rs. 20 a kg. During last month its rate was Rs. 16 per kg. By how much percent should a family reduce its consumption so as to keep the expenditure fixed? Ans. 20 %
21. Can you find out what day of the week was January 12, 1979? Ans. Friday
22. From 5 different green balls, four different blue balls and three different red balls, how many combinations of balls can be chosen taking at least one green and one blue ball? Ans. 3720.
23. Three pipes, A, B, & C are attached to a tank. A & B can fill it in 20 & 30 minutes respectively while C can empty it in 15 minutes. If A, B & C are kept open successively for 1 minute each, how soon will the tank be filled? Ans. 167 minutes.24. A person walking 5/6 of his usual rate is 40 minutes late. What is his usual time?
Ans. 3 hours 20 minutes.25. A garrison of 3300 men has provisions for 32 days, when given at a rate of 850 grams per head. At the end of 7 days reinforcement arrives and it was found that now the provisions will last 8 days less, when given at the rate of 825 grams per head.How, many more men can it feed? Ans. 1700 men
26. In the given figure, PA and PB are tangents to the circle at A and B respectively and the chord BC is parallel to tangent PA. If AC = 6 cm, and length of the tangent AP is 9 cm, then what is the length of the chord BC? Ans. BC = 4 cm
27. A boat travels 20 kms upstream in 6 hrs and 18 kms downstream in 4 hrs. Find the speed of the boat in still water and the speed of thewater current? (a) 1/2 kmph (b) 7/12 kmph (c) 5 kmph (d) none of these Ans. (b)28. Find the smallest number in a GP whose sum is 38 and product 1728 (a) 12 (b) 20 (c) 8 (d) none of these Ans. (c)29. If x=y=2z and xyz=256 then what is the value of x? (a)12 (b)8 (c)16 (d)6 Ans. (b)30. (1/10)18 - (1/10)20 = ? (a) 99/1020 (b) 99/10 (c) 0.9 (d) none of these Ans. (a)31.A train running at 72 kms per hour crosses a coconut tree standing by the side of the track in 7 seconds. The length of the train is:
(A) 104 metres (B) 140 metres (C) 504 metres (D) 540 metres
32. If 12 men and 16 boys can do a piece of work in 5 days and 13 men and 24 boys can do it in 4 days, the ratio of daily work done by a man to that done by a boy is:
(A) 1 : 3 (B) 1 : 2 (C) 2 : 1 (D) 3 : 1
33. A cistern is filled by a tap in 3 1/2hours. Due to a leak in its bottom, it takes 12 hour longer to fill. If cistern is full, how long will it take to leak to empty it?
(A) 7 hours (B) 8 hours (C) 14 hours (D) 28 hours
34. A can do a piece of work in 7 days of 9 hours each whereas B can do the same work in 6 days of 7 hours each How long will it take to complete the work together working 8 2/5 hours a day?
(A) 2 days (B) 3 days (C) 3 1/7 days (D) 4 2/5 days
35. A bus left Delhi for Ambala at 50 km/hr and turned over the same route at 40 km/hr. Thus it took 1 hour more on the return trip. The distance between Delhi and Ambala is:
(A) 200 kms (B) 180 kms (C) 400 kms (D) None of these
36. A man purchased a bag of rice containing 70 kgs for Rs 175. He sold it at the rate of Rs 2.75 per kg. Find the profit and loss per cent.
(A) 10% profit (B) 10% loss (C) 12.5% profit (D) 12.5% loss
37. A shopkeeper gives 3 consecutive discounts of 10%, 15% and 15% after which he sells his goods at a percentage profit of 30.05% on the cost price. Find the value of the percentage profit that the shopkeeper would have earned if he had given discounts of 10% and 15% only:
(A) 53% (B) 62.5% (C) 72.5% (D) 68.6%
38. A journey of 192 kms takes 2 hours less by a fast train than by a slow train. If the average speed of the slow train is 16 kmph less than that of a fast train, what is the average speed of the fast train?
(A) 30 kmph (B) 48 kmph (C) 20 kmph (D) 25 kmph
Section 3: CRITICAL REASONING ( 12 questions , 30 minutes)
Directions 1-12: Answer the questions given below the passage or statement as true, false or can't say.
PASSAGE : In the past helicopters were forced to ground or crash because of the formation of the ice on the rotors and engines. A new electronic device has been developed which can detect the water content in the atmosphere and warns the pilot if the temperature is below freezing temperature about the formation of the ice on the rotors and wings.
Answer questions 17-20 based on passage
1.The electronic device can avoid formation of the ice on the wings
2. There will be the malfunction of rotor & engine because of formation of ice
3. The helicopters were to be crashed or grounded
4. There is only one device that warn about the formation of ice
PASSAGE : Human existence is suspicious of arbitrary divide between concise and unconcise. The concise world invades shape activity of the unconcise, while many of great activity of humanity waking as whole or partially improved by dreams. Even it could be ignored that dreams precede exceptional such a dichotomy could not be drawn as the influence of dream on waking state would remain unclear. But as yet no company rebuilt exists to record the substitute of prenatal dreaming.
Answer questions 5- 8 based on passage 5. Sleepy can be creative state
Ans. True 6. It is difficult to tell whether a sleeper is dream or not
Ans. True7. If we know what babies would dream about before they are born we could show that the concise and unconcise mind influence on one another .
Ans. Can't say8. It is untrue claim that concise and unconcise world never impinge one another
PASSAGE : Although invaders represent a threat to the conservation of flora and fauna, there are two special cases in which invasion have been deliberately brought about. One is the desire to control presents by natural predators, which may have to be brought in from other countries. The second is releasing organisms into the wild (or on to farms, from which they might escape) that are completely novel, because they have been genetically engineered. There is nothing intrinsically sinister about engineered organisms, but any novelty must be regarded as a potential invader.
Answer questions 9-12 based on passage
9.Pest control does not threat the conservation of flora and fauna.
Ans.True10.Genetically engineered organisms must always be regarded as potentially dangerous.
Ans. False 11.Natural predators are work harmful than pests.
Ans. True 12.Genetically engineered organisms escaped from the farm, they will be pose a threat to wildlife.
2009-2016 downloadmela.com. All rights reserved.