TCS Placement Paper General - Other -1 Jan 2004
1) Bhanu spends 30% of his income on petrol on scooter. ¼ of the remaining on house rent and the balance on food. If he spends Rs.300 on petrol then what is the expenditure on house rent?
2) If the numerator of a fraction is increased by 25% and denominator decreased by 20%, the new value is 5/4. What is the original value?
3) The length of a rectangle is increased by 60%. By what % would the width have to be decreased to maintain the same area?
4) The value of ¾ + 5 / 36 + 7 / 144 + ??.+17 / 5184 + 19 / 8100 is
d) None of these
5) A sporting goods store ordered an equal number of white and yellow balls. The tennis ball company delivered 45 extra white balls, making the ratio of white balls to yellow balls 1/5 : 1/6. How many white tennis balls did the store originally order for?
6) A student's grade in a course is determined by 6 quizzes and one examination. If the examination counts thrice as much as each of the quizzes, what fraction of final grade is determined by the examination?
7) A sum of money is divided among A, B and C such that for each rupee A gets, B gets 65paise and C gets 35paise. If C's share is Rs.560, the sum is ?
8) Joe's father will be twice his age 6 years from now. His mother was twice his age 2 years before. If Joe will be 24 two years from now, what is the difference between his father's and mother's age?
9) A traveler walks a certain distance. Had he gone half a kilometer an hour faster \, he would have walked it in 4/5 of the time, and had he gone half a Kilometer an hour slower, he would have walked 2 ½ hr longer. What is the distance?
a) 10 Km
b) 15 Km
c) 20 Km
d) Data Insufficient
10) Two oranges, 3 bananas and 4 apples cost Rs.15. 3 oranges, 2 bananas and 1 apple cost Rs.10. I bought 3 oranges, 3 bananas and 3 apples. How much did I pay?
d) Cannot be determined
11) A report consists of 20 sheets each of 55 lines and each such line consists of 65 characters. This report is retyped into sheets each of 65 lines such that each line consists of 70 characters. The % reduction in the number of sheets is closest to
12) A ship leaves on a long voyage. When it is 18 miles from the shore, a seaplane, whose speed is 10 times that of the ship is sent to deliver mail. How far from the shore does the seaplane catch upo with the ship?
a) 24 miles
b) 25 miles
d) 20 miles
13) Anand finishes a work in 7 days, Bittu finishes the same job in 8 days and Chandu in 6 days. They take turns to finish the work. Anand on the first day, Bittu on the second and Chandu on the third day and then Anand again and so on. On which day will the work get over?
14) 3 men finish painting a wall in 8 days. Four boys do the same job in 7 days. In how many days will 2 men and 2 boys working together paint two such walls of the same size?
a) 6 6/13 days
b) 3 3/13 days
c) 9 2/5 days
d) 12 12/13 days
15) There are 5 distinct pairs of white socks and 5 pairs of black socks in a cupboard. In the dark, how many socks do I have to pull out to ensure that I have at least 1 correct pair of white socks?
16) In a circular race track of length 100 m, three persons A, B and C start together. A and B start in the same direction at speeds of 10 m/s and 8 m/s respectively. While C runs in the opposite at 15 m/s. When will all the three meet for the first time on the after the start?
a) After 4 s
b) After 50 s
c) After 100 s
d) After 200 s
17) If the distance traveled (s) in time (t) by a partile is given by the formula s = 1+ 2t+3t2+4t3 , then what is the distance travelled in the 4th second of its motion?
18) There is a circular pizza with negligible thickness that is cut into 'x' pieces by 4 straight line cuts. What is the maximum and minimum value of 'x' respectively?
19) When ¾ of a unit's digit is added to the ten's digit of a two number, the sum of the digits becomes 10. If ¼ of the ten's digit added to the unit's digit, then the sum of the digits is 1 less than the previous. Find the number.
20) LCM of x and y is 36 and HCF of x and y is 4. If x = 4 then which of the following is definitely not true?
a) Y is divisible by 3
b) Y is divisible by 6
c) Y is divisible by 9
d) X+Y is divisible by
21) Amal bought 5 pens, 7 pencils and 4 erasers. Rajan bought 6 pens, 8 erasers and 14 pencils for an amount which was half more than what Amal had paid. What % of the total amount paid by Amal was paid for pens?
22) A non stop bus to Amritsar overtakes an auto also moving towards Amritsar at 10 am. The bus reaches Amritsar at 12.30 pm and starts on the return journey after 1 hr. On the way back it meets the auto at 2 pm. At what time the auto will reach Amritsar?
23) The total expense of a boarding house are partly fixed and partly variable with the number of boarders. The charge is Rs.70 per head when there are 25 boarders and Rs.60 when there are 50 boarders. Find the charge per head when there are 100 boarders.
24) How many positive integer solutions does the equation 2x+3y = 100 have?
25) A person had to multiply two numbers. Instead of multiplying by 35, he multiplied by 53and the product went up by 540. What was the raised product?
Directions (26-35): Choose the lettered word or phrase that is most nearly opposite in meaning to the word in capital letters
a) Carefully rehearsed
b) Widely recognized
c) Narrowly focussed
d) Purposefully vague
a) Regain completely
b) Decrease slowly
c) Respond rapidly
d) Request humbly
a) Fast talking
b) Quick witted
a) Predicted occurrence
b) Temporary solution
c) Easy problem
d) Continuous process
Directions (36-45): Each question has four items. Select the item that does not belong to this group
(c) Art form
Directions (46-55): Choose the lettered word or phrase that is most nearly similar in meaning to the word in capital letters.
52. TO HEAP
a. to pile
b. to forbid
c. to proceed
d. to share
54. TO MERIT
a. to embrace
b. to devote
c. to deserve
d. to combine
Directions (56-84): In the following set of paragraphs, each of the questions following the paragraph has the same answer choice i.e.
c) Cannot Say
Mark the appropriate choice for each of the questions.
Passage A: My father has no brothers. He has three sisters who has two childs each.
56.My grandfather has two sons.
57. Three of my aunts have two sons
58. My father is only child to his father
59. I have six cousins from my mother side
60. I have one uncle
Passage B: Ether injected into gallbladder to dissolve cholesterol based gallstones. This type one-day treatment is enough for gallstones not for calcium stones. This method is alternative to surgery for millions of people who are suffering from this disease.
61.Calcium stones can be cured in one day
62. Hundreds of people contains calcium stones
63. Surgery is the only treatment to calcium stones
64. Ether will be injected into the gallbladder to cure the cholesterol-based gallstones
PASSAGE C: Hacking is illegal entry into another computer. This happens mostly because of lack of knowledge of computer networking. With networks one machine can access to another machine. Hacking go about withoutknowing that each network is accredited to use network facility.
65. Hackers never break the code of the company that they work for
66. Hacking is the only vulnerability of the computers for the usage of the data
67.Hacking is done mostly due to the lack of computer knowledge
PASSAGE D: Alphine tunnels are closed tunnels. In the past 30 yrs not even a single accident has been recorded for there is one accident in the rail road system. Even in case of a fire accident it is possible to shift the passengers into adjacent wagons and even the live fire can be detected and extinguished with in the duration of 30 min.
68. No accident can occur in the closed tunnels
69. Fire is allowed to live for 30 min
70. All the care that travel in the tunnels will be carried by rail shutters.
PASSAGE E: In the past helicopters were forced to ground or crash because of the formation of the ice on the rotors and engines. A new electronic device has been developed which can detect the water content in the atmosphere and warns the pilot if the temperature is below freezing temperature about the formation of the ice on the rotors and wings.
71.The electronic device can avoid formation of the ice on the wings
72. There will be the malfunction of rotor & engine because of formation of ice
73. The helicopters were to be crashed or grounded
74. There is only one device that warn about the formation of ice
PASSAGE F:In the survey conducted in mumbai out of 63 newly married house wives not a single house wife felt that the husbands should take equal part in the household work as they felt they loose their power over their husbands. Inspite of their careers they opt to do the kitchen work themselves after coming back to home. The wives get half as much leisure time as the husbands get at the weekends.
75.Housewives want the husbands to take part equally in the household
76. Wives have half as much leisure time as the husbands have
77. 39% of the men will work equally in the house in cleaning and washing
PASSAGE G: Copernicus is the intelligent. In the days of copernicus the transport and technology development was less & it took place weeks to communicate a message at that time, wherein we can send it through satellite with in no time. Even with this fast developments it has become difficult to understand each other.
78. People were not intelligent during Copernicus days
79. Transport facilities are very much improved in now a days
80. Even with the fast developments of the technology we can't live happily.
81. We can understand the people very much with the development of communication
PASSAGE H: Senior managers warned the workers that because of the introduction of Japanese industry in the car market there is the threat to the workers. They also said that there would be the reduction in the purchase of the sales of car in public. The interest rates of the car will be increased with the loss in demand.
82. Japanese workers are taking over the jobs of Indian industry.
83. Managers said car interests would go down after seeing the raise in interest rates.
84. Japanese investments are ceasing to end in the car industry.
85. People are very interested to buy the cars.
Key to Mock Test 2
1. d 2. b 3. d 4. a 5. c 6. c 7. c 8. c 9. b 10. c 11. a 12. d 13. d 14. d 15. c 16. c 17. b 18. d 19. c 20. d 21. b 22. b 23. b 24. c 25. c 26. a 27. b 28. d 29. c 30. a 31. c 32. a 33. d 34. d 35. c 36. d 37. b 38. b 39. d 40. c 41. d 42. b 43. d 44. b 45. d 46. a 47. b 48. c 49. d 50. c 51. a 52. a 53. c 54. c 55. c 56. c 57. c 58. b 59. c 60. c 61. b 62. c 63. a 64. a 65. c 66. b 67. b 68. a 69. b 70. c 71. b 72. a 73. a 74. a 75. b 76. b 77. b 78. b 79. c 80. c 81. b 82. b 83. a 84. b 85. b
2009-2016 downloadmela.com. All rights reserved.