TCS Placement Paper Candidates Experiences Liluah, Howrah (WB)-28 Sep 2011
Name: Santanu Bhattacharyya
Department: Electronics and Communication Engineering
College: MCKV Institute of Engineering, Liluah, Howrah
Company: Tata Consultancy Services
· There were two rounds, one is this aptitude test and the other is the personal interview.
· For aptitude test, solve all the problems available in freshersworld.com and the papers from other colleges. No other book like RS Agarwal is required if you solve only these. Apparently these are easy but you can?t answer if you aren?t familiar with the problem. There are some tricks in most of the problems. I repeat, solve only the papers from this site.
· For aptitude, cut off mark vary from college to college. Don?t care about upper cut off, it doesn?t exist. I answered 33/35, some of my friends answered 35/35, some answered 27/35? all of them are placed. I don?t know what exactly the lower cut off marks is, but to be safe, answer at least 28+ questions. Don?t try to guess, there is negative marking system. For each wrong question, 1/3 will be deducted.
· Once you cleared the aptitude, you are eligible for the technical/HR round. In my case there was only one round of PI. I hardly faced any HR type questions. Some faced only HR round which hardly had any technical questions. Some had 2 rounds of interview, in which one was technical and the other is the HR.
· PI is the most important part. For this round you need good knowledge in whole electronics domain as well as C and Data Structure. You don?t need to know lots of concepts/ mathematical derivations/ large circuit diagrams. What you need to know is basics of all subjects with sound concept in BASICS OF ALL SUBJECT. They may ask you any question from any topic of any subject. Those questions don?t have any range. You need to have knowledge from real world. My PI was like this:
Me: good after noon sir.
HR: good afternoon Santanu. Have a seat.
Me: thank you sir.
HR: where are you from Santanu?
HR: Ok?tell me something about yourself.
Me: Told( this is the 1st part where you can impress an interviewer. You need to tell your name, city, schooling, brief family background, strength, weaknesses, hobbies etc, I was bit nervous while telling these)
HR: do you need some water Santanu?
Me: No sir, I am fine. Thank you.
HR: Why is there a deviation between your marks in HS and Secondary?
Me: Told( I was prepared for this question. Be prepare for such question if you have this)
HR: What are your favourite subjects?
Me: Told(mine was Digital circuits and communication systems. I forgot to mention the name of C and DS. You have to mention at least one from these two even if you don?t have any interest in these.)
HR: you are going to join a software company and you don?t have any interest in any programming language?
Me: No sir, actually I forgot to mention it. I know C sir. And I also like Data Structure.
HR: Denis Ritchie also knew C. then what is the difference between you and denis Ritchie? You should have told that you tried to learn C.
Me: (Apologized for my mistake.)
HR: digital communication is an application of digital electronics, right? These two have some sort of relationship, isn?t it?
Me: Yes sir ( I told yes, though I never tried to find the relation :P)
HR: tell me something about wireless communication
Me: told (though I didn?t know the subject well, I tried to explain as much as I can. I mentioned the term antenna once)
HR: what are different types of antenna?
Me: Told( I could name only 3 types at that time)
HR: tell me the advantage and disadvantage of these types.
Me: Sorry sir, I forgot those. Actually it was in my 4th semester syllabus.
HR: Its fine Santanu. (then he asked me some topics on wireless communication like sim card, mobile tracking, IMEI number of a cell phone, UIC number, PIN number, blue tooth, how call is connected in two cell phones, what is cellular technology, why it is called cellular, what is CDMA, why a call doesn?t get cut when we move in a different BTS region etc)
Me: Told though couldn?t answer some.(tell him directly that you don?t know if you don?t know the answer).
HR: tell me what is LAN? (as I mentioned that blue tooth is a wireless LAN)
HR: draw the TCP/IP reference model.
HR: explain the function of each layer?
HR: what are the different protocols in these layers?
Me: told (he was impressed after this networking part)
HR: you know networking better than digital electronics. Why didn?t you mention it?
Me: I told about my weakness in network security part.
HR: define what is multiplexing and demultiplexing?
HR: explain with example.
Me: told(failed to give the example of demuxing)
HR: what are simplex, half duplex and full duplex communication? Give example of each.
HR: what are p type and n type semiconductor?
HR: I didn?t ask a definition from book. Explain it.
Me: I tried to explain it as much as I can using hole, electron, acceptor, donor etc.
HR: elaborate your final year project.
Me: told something about it, it was on secure communication using QPSK.
HR: why do we need QPSK?
HR: describe QPSK.
Me: I represented the block diagram only and the code grouping.
HR: now tell me something so that I can select you for TCS.
HR: what are calloc and malloc?
HR: what are the differences?
HR: write a program to swap two numbers.
Me: shall I write the program without 3rd variable or without or using bitwise operator or using call be reference?
HR: use any of these.
Me: started writing the program.
HR: wait, you are prepared with the program, you don?t need to write it.
Me: Okay sir ( I was bit shocked)
HR: what is the difference between return function and exit function?
HR: when these two behaves same?
HR: okay.. at the beginning of the interview you didn?t have good communication skill, how did you gain it?
Me: actually sir, I was bit nervous at that time.
HR: okay.. I want to get better communication skill from you when I see you next time in TCS (this last part was enough for me )
Me: yes sir, I am working on it.
HR: do you have something to ask me?
Me: actually sir, I need to know should I learn any software technologies to perform better in the ILP? Like do I need to learn Java or .Net or anything like that? (though I wouldn?t try to learn it now even if he said yes :P) (be prepared with a question that you have to ask your HR)
HR: he explained me about the ILP and told me that I will be taught everything in the ILP so I don?t need to worry now.
Then he shook hand with me. I was confident after the interview. The interview was almost 40-45 minutes. It completed at around 6.30 pm. We had to wait for 7 hours, till 1.30 at the mid night for the result to be declared. I had my name in the list. I was very happy after having listened my name, but I could have been happier if others would have been selected too. 234 candidates were there, 141 were selected.
For electronics student, these subjects are must, even if you mention these your preferred subject or not:
01. Basics of Analog Electronics Circuits
02. Digital Electronics Circuit
03. Basics of Analog Communication Systems
04. Sound concept in Digital Communication Systems
05. Sound concept in Micro Processor (8085)
06. Sound concept in Networking
07. Very good knowledge in C and Data Structure
08. Basics of Wireless Communication, EM Theory
09. Important mathematical rules (like formula of trigonometric, binomial theorem) and basics laws of physics (like gas laws, pascals law etc).
10. Extremely good knowledge in your project.
2009-2016 downloadmela.com. All rights reserved.