TCS Placement Paper Candidate Experiences Veltech-08 2010
TCS off campus drive at Veltech on 14-08-2010, 7.00AM.
First round was an Quantative Aptitude round, where we have to answer the online questions through touch stone software developed by IIT Madras students. This database have 3 lac questions, out of 3 lac we ll prompt to 35questions and time limit is 60 mins.
For every correct answer we have 1 mark and for every wrong answere 0.33 mark ll be deduced (one mark for 3 wrong answers).
Questions were mainly from age, ratio proportional, speed and distance, sequence, probability, work and time, average, blood relation, area and volume and one logical question.
I dont remember all questions, but the questions was lengthy which may carry irrelevant datas for exact question.. The matter is we have to pick out the right part from question as soon as possible (15 to 20 secs), because our average time for each question is 1.5min.
As for study material just use RS agarwal Quantitative aptitude book, that is enough. But you must be very much clear about the concepts behind solving problems. Sorting out different type of problems for eg. in section speed and distance, we can have relative speed problem, km/hr to m/sec conversion type problems, speed of train problems, like wise. I suggest you all to sort out these type of problems from rs agarwal and let get clear about the required datas to solve the problem. This may help you in exam to quickly understand the question (which is very much necessary for this exam).
And another notable point is you cannot find these questions anywhere else. (nothing from any book).
Some of questions in exam, which I remember is as follows:
1. 6 persons standing in queue with different age group, after two years their average age will be 43 and seventh person joined with them. hence the current average age has become 45. find the age of seventh person?
Solution: Here the question appear as an easy one, but carried a lot of unwanted sentences and unwanted datas (i dint mention above) in exam which may confuse you on solving technique.
Let x be current average age of first 6 persons in queue and current age of seventh person be y. Then 6x will become the sum of those 6 persons age.
Now, let compute the sum of those 6 persons after two years, 6x+12 (as each and individual increase their age by 2). hence its average become (6x+12)/6 = 43 (give in question itself).
So now we can compute x from above equation. (x = 41, 6x = 246)Let now we compute y, ((6x+y)/7) = 45, as we have value of x, compute y.
2. Horse started to chase dog as it relieved stable two hrs ago. And horse started to ran with average speed 22km/hr, horse crossed 10 mts road and two small pounds with depth 3m, and it crossed two small street with 200 mts length. After traveling 6 hrs, 2hrs after sunset it got dog. compute the speed of dog?
Ans: As we have speed and travel time of horse, we can get distance travelled by it?Hence d = 22*6 = 132km,
Exactly this 132km was travelled by dog in 8 hours (as it started two hours earlier).Hence speed of dog = 132/8 = 16.5km/hrAns: 16.5km/hr.
3. 3, 22 , 7, 45, 15, ? , 31
Solution: Here it appear simple, because it arranged in arranged in sequence manner, but the actual question was some what twist mentioning fibonacci series and more over question was in statements (no numbers).. hence first try to understand the question well.
here let group alternate terms 3,7,15,31 (3+4 =7, 7+8 =15, 15+16=31)
Similarly for second group (22,45,? (22+23 = 45, 45+46 = 91) hence ans is 91.
4. In Tnagar many buildings were under residential category.for buildings they number as 1 to 100. For shops, corporation numbered between 150 and 200 only prime numbers. how many time 6 will appear in building numbering?
For 1 to 10 ? 1 six2 to 20 ? 1 sixSimilarly upto 59 we utilise six, 5 timesfrom 60 to 69 (including 66) ? 11 timesfrom 70 to 100 ? 3, hence ans = 5+11+3 = 19Ans:19.
5. ((4x+3y)+(5x+9y))/(5x+5y) = ? as (x/2y) = 2Ans: 2 (simple algebra, I think no need of explanation)
6: If we subract a number with y, we get 4 increase of number, once it got divided by y itself.. Find that number??Ans: 12 (we can easily predict from options, as we take y as 6)
7. I dont remember exactly the question, one logical problem stating the colour of beer?Ans: white.
8. Jumbled letters, parakeet (answer)Ans: bird (category)
9. ratio proportional problem with age. Sorry, dint remember exact question.
10. one question like. (209*144)^2 + (209*209)+(209*144)+(144*144) = ?Ans: here you can use calc, many(4 to 5) questions were depend upon calc alone.(no need problem solving technique).
11. Im only son for my parents. (some irrelevant statements in the middle to distract you). The man in picture is my father?s son. (some irrelevant statements).who is he?Ans: he himself (blood relation type of question).
As I suggesfully answered these above mentioned questions, I m unable to get through the process. Then you just think off, that how far you have to prepare to crack this. Take the exam as serious one and crack the competetive world.
I hope these questions will help you to get an idea on how to crack tcs first round.
My suggestion is first go through all questions and try to answere simple questions first. Its easy for everyone to answer 16 to 17 right answers, beyond 17 it is very much tough to answer. as the Cutoff in other cities like banglore and hyderabad is 18.
But in Chennai, I dont think they have cut off, because I answered 21 questions with 2 doubt answers (other 19 confirmly correct). But I failed to get through this round as I got 28 pos in list. Only first 20 pos selected out of 700 (approx.) people in my batch.
As I m not very much strong on Verbal, here I got good opportunity to prove myself, as the questions only from numerical ability. So I put on my full ability to get through this online exam. But I m unable to crack, and this exam clearly showed that I m not having enough stuff to get in to an MNC.
As I got extremely vexed on losing this interview, I want you people not to loose this golden opportunity, like me. please take my experience as an cracking tool for exam and try to get through this exam. For this reason alone im posting these questions.
The real matter is how far you utilise your 60 min in test. first understand question in 15 to 20 seconds, or else skip it.
The real thing is each and every question is mind blogging.
I wish you all the best to clear this round and also to get in India?s top mnc company.
2009-2016 downloadmela.com. All rights reserved.