CTS Placement Paper Analytical Coimbatore-24 Nov 2011
1) The average of seven consecutive even numbers P,Q,R,S,T,U,V is 64. What is the product of P and V?
a) 4060 b) 3860 c) 4260 d) 4440
2) If the numerator of a fraction is increased by 200% and the denominator is increased by 250% the resultant fraction is 3/14. What is the original fraction?
a) 1/2 b) 3/4 c) 1/4 d) 1/8
3) How many number in between 1 and 100 are there each of which is not only exactly divisible by 4 but does not have 4 as a digit?
a) 18 b) 17 c) 7 d) 20
4) If the remainder obtained by subtracting a number from its own square is 6 times the number, what is the number?
a)4 b) 3 c) 6 d) 7
5) Three-fourth of a number is equal to 60% of another number and the difference between the two numbers is 20. What is the sum of the two numbers?
a) 220 b) 180 c) 170 d) 320
6) Out of forty students, there are 14 who are taking Physics and 29 who are taking Calculus. What is the probability that a randomly chosen student from this group is taking only the Calculus class?
7) In town of 500 people, 285 read Hindu and 212 read Indian express and 127read Times of India 20 read Hindu and times of India and 29 read hindu and Indian express and 35 read times of India and Indian express. 50 read no news paper. Then how many read only one paper?
8) In a group of persons travelling in a bus, 6 persons can speak Tamil, 15 can speak Hindi and 6 can speak Gujarati. In that group, none can speak any other language. If 2 persons in the group can speak two languages and one person can speak all the three languages, then how many persons are there in the group?
A) 21 B) 23 C) 22 D)24
9) Out of a total of 120 musicians in a club , 5% can play all the three instruments- Guitar, violin and Flute. It so happens that the number of musicians who can play any two and only two of the above instruments is 30. The number of musicians who can play the guitar alone is 40. What is the total number of those who can play violin alone or flute alone ?
A) 30 B) 38 C) 44 D) 45
10) In a town 65% people watched the news on television , 40% read a newspaper and 25% read a newspaper and watched the news on television also. What percent of the people neither watched the news on television nor read a news paper ?
A) 5 B) 10 C) 15 D) 20
11). A secret can be told only 2 persons in 5 minutes .the same person tells to 2 more persons and so on . How long will take to tell it to 768 persons ?
a)47.5 min b)50 min c) 500 min d)49 min
Ans: 47.5 min
12) When I was married 10 years ago my wife is the 6th member of the family. Today my father died and a baby born to me.The average age of my family during my marriage is same as today. What is the age of Father when he died?
13) A son and father goes for boating in river upstream . After rowing for 1 mile son notices the hat of his father falling in the river. After 5 min. he tells his father that his hat has fallen. So they turn round and are able to pick the hat at the point from where they began boating after 5min. Tell the speed of river?
Ans: 6 miles/hr
14) There are three departments having students 64,58,24 .In an exam they have to be seated in rooms such that each room has equal number of students and each room has students of one type only (No mixing of departments. Find the minimum number rooms required?
Ans : 73
15) Argentina had football team of 22 player of which captain is from Brazilian team and goalki from European team. For remaining player they have picked 6 from Argentinean and 14 from European. Now for a team of 11 they must have goalki and captain so out of 9 now they plan to select 3 from Argentinean and 6 from European. Find out number of methods available for it.
Ans : 160600( check out for right no. 6C3 * 14C6)
16) Directions for Questions(16.a-16.e): Each question given below has a problem and two statements numbered I and II giving certain information. You have to decide if the information given in the statements are sufficient for answering the problem. Indicate your answer as
(a) If the data in statement I alone are sufficient to answer the question;
(b) If the data in statement II alone are sufficient to answer the question;
(c) If the data in either in I or II alone are sufficient to answer the question;
(d) If the data even in both the statements together are not sufficient to answer the question;
(e) If the data in both the statements together are needed;
16.a) How many visitors saw the exhibition yesterday?
I. Each entry pass holder can take up to three persons with him / her.
II. In all, 243 passes were sold yesterday.
16.b) How much was the total sale of the company?
I. The company sold 8000 units of product A each costing Rs. 25.
II. The company has no other product line
16.c) In what proportion would Raj, Karan and Altaf distribute profit among them
I. Raj gets two-fifth of the profit.
II. Karan and Althaf have made 75% of the total investment.
16.d) What time did the train leave today.
I. The train normally leaves on time
II. The scheduled departure is at 14.30.
16.e) On which day in January, Subhas left for Germany
I. Subhas has so far spent 10 years in Germany.
II. Subhas' friend Anil left for Germany on 15th February and joined Subhas 20 days afterSubhas' arrival.
Directions for Questions(17-21):
Convert the given binary numbers.
17). (1110 0111)2 = ( )16
18). (01011010)2=( )8
19). (11110000)2= ( )10
20). (11000101010000111)2=( )16
21). (01001110)2 = ( )8
A cube is coloured orange on one face , pink on the opposite face, brown on one face and silver on a face adjacent to the brown face. The other two faces are left uncoloured. It is then cut into 125 smaller cubes of equal size. now, answer the following questions based on the above statements:
22). How many cubes have at least one face coloured pink ?
A) 1 B)9 C) 16 D) 25
23). How many cubes have all the faces uncoloured ?
A) 24 B)36 C) 48 D) 64
24). How many cubes have atleast two faces coloured ?
A) 19 B)20 C) 21 D) 23
25) How many cubes are coloured orange on one face and have the remaining faces incoloured?
A) 8 B) 12 C) 14 D) 16
26) How many cubes one coloured silver on one face , orange or pink on another face and have four uncoloured faces ?
A) 8 B) 10 C) 12 D) 16
27) A batsman scores 23 runs and increases his average from 15 to 16. find the runs to be made if he wants top inc the avg to 18 in the same match.
Ans: 39 Runs.
28) In a club there are male and female members. If 15 female quit then the number of females will become double the number of males. If 45 males quit no. of female becomes five times the number of males. Find the number of females.
Ans: Females:175, Males:80
29) When I was married 10 years back my wife was the sixth member of my family. Now I have a baby. Today my father was dead and I had a new baby.now the average age of my family is the same as that when I was married. Find the age of my father when I was married.
30). When I was married 10 years ago my wife is the 6th member of the family. Today my father died and a baby born to me.The average age of my family during my marriage is same as today. What is the age of Father when he died?
1) Directions for Questions (a-e):
Read the passage and answer the questions that follow on the basis of the information provided in the passage.
The establishment of the third Reich influenced events in American history by starting a chain of events which culminated in war between Germany and the United States. The complete destruction of democracy, the persecution of laws, the war on religion, the cruelty and barrbarism of the Nazis and especially, the plans of Germany and her allies, Italy and Japan, for world conquest caused great indignation in this country and brought on fear of another world war. While speaking out against Hitler's atrocities, the American profile generally favored isolationist policies, and neutrality. The neutrality acts of 1935 and 1936 prohibited trade with any belligerents or loans to them. In 1937 the president was empowered to declare an arms embargo in wars between nations at his discretion
American opinion began to change somewhat after President Roosevelt's quarantine the aggressor speech at Chicago (1937) in which he severely criticized Hitler's policies. Germany's seizure of Austria and Munich pact for the partition of Czechoslovakia (1938) also around the American people. The conquest of Czechoslovakia in March 1939 was another rude awakening to the menace of the third Reich. In August, 1939, came the shock of the Nazi - Soviet pact and in September the attack on Poland and the outbreak of European war. The United States attempt to maintain neutrality in spite of sympathy for the democracies arranged against the Third Reich. The Neutrality act of 1939 repeated the arms embargo and permitted 'cash' and 'carry' exports of arms to belligerent nations. A strong national defense program was begun. A draft act was passed (1940) to strengthen the military services. A Lend - Lease Act (1940) authorized the president to sell, exchange or lend materials to any county deemed necessary by him for the defense of the United States. Help was given to Britain territory in the western Hemisphere. In August 1941, President Roosevelt and prime minister Churchill met and issued the Atlantic Charter which proclaimed the kind of a world which should be established after the war. In December 1941, Japan launched the unprovoked attack on the United States at Pearl harbor, immediately thereafter Germany declared war on the united states.
A. USA entered the war against Germany
1. because Pearl Harbor was attacked
2. after peaceful efforts had failed
3. because Germany declare war against it
4. because Japan was an ally of Germany
5. after Germany had signed the Nazi - Soviet pact
Ans : 3
B. The Neutrality Act of 1939 favored Great Britain because
1. the British had command of the sea
2. the law permitted U.S.A. to trade only with the allies.
3. it antagonized Japan
4. it led to the Land - Lease Act
5. it agreed with the British on the principle of the Atlantic Charter
Ans : 1
C. An event that did not occur in 1939 was the
1. invasion of Poland
2. invasion of Czechoslovakia
3. passing of the Neutrality Act
4. passing of the Land - Lease act
5. outbreak of the war in Europe
Ans : 4
D. One item occurring 1937 that the author does not mention in the list of actions that alienated the American Public was
1. The persecution of religious groups
2. Nazi barbarism
3. The pacts with Italy
4. German plans for conquest of the world
5. The burning of the Reich tag.
Ans : 5
E. The Land - Lease Act has designed to
1. Strengthen USA's national defense
2. Provide battle shit to the Allies
3. Help the British
4. the Atlantic Charter
5. Avenge Pearl Harbor
2) Directions for Questions(a-e): Read the passage and answer the questions that follow on the basis of the information provided in the passage
One of the most dangerous drugs for pregnant women to consume is alcohol. Because alcohol is delivered quickly into the blood and passes quickly into the tissues and membranes, the human fetus is particularly vulnerable to its effects. In fact, the negative effects on a fetus are so pronounced that babies born after exposure to alcohol are said to be suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome. As a pregnant woman drinks alcohol, the alcohol is passed into her her bloodstream almost simultaneously. Moreover, because the bloodstream of the fetus is inextricably tied to that of the mother, the alcohol passes directly into the bloodstream of the fetus as well. And, what is more, the concentration of alcohol in the fetus is exactly the same as in the mother. For the mother, this concentration is not a problem because her liver can remove one ounce of alcohol from her system per hour. However, the fetus's liver is not completely developed (how developed it is depends on its stage of development). The rate at which it is able to eliminate the alcohol from the blood of the fetus is much slower. Eventually, the alcohol will be returned to the mother's system by passing across the placenta, but this process is slow. By the time this takes place, major neurological damage may have already occurred. Research has shown that as little as one drink of alcohol can produce significant, irreversible damage to the fetus. Babies born after exposure to alcohol generally exhibit facial distortion, inability to concentrate, and difficulty in remembering. Simply speaking, it is imperative that pregnant women avoid alcohol.
Following are some sample questions on this passage:
A. How much time can it be inferred that it takes alcohol to enter a woman's bloodstream after she takes a drink?
1. about one hour
2. a few seconds
3. several minutes
4. at least 24 hours
B. According to the passage, how does the concentration of alcohol in a fetus compare to that in the mother?
1. The concentration is more.
2. The concentration is less.
3. The concentration is equivalent.
4. The concentration cannot be measured.
C. It can be inferred that the development of a fetal liver depends on
1. how many months pregnant the mother is
2. how much alcohol the mother has consumed
3. how large the fetus is
4. how well the mother has taken care of the fetus
D. According to the passage, how is alcohol finally returned to the mother's system?
1. it is carried through the bloodstream
2. it is transferred across the placenta
3. it is expelled by the fetus's liver
4. it is not completely returned
E. Which one of the following was NOT mentioned as a sign of fetal alcohol syndrome?
1. disfigurement of the face
2. concentration difficulties
3. increased aggression
4. memory problems
3) Directions for Questions (a-e): Read each sentence to find if there is any grammatical error in it. If there is any error, it will be only one part of the sentence. The number or alphabet of that part is your answer.( Disregard punctuation errors if any)
A. The major / along with / his soldiers / were killed in the field/.no error.
A B C D E
B. In this way nuclear fission / or the splitting/of the atom / have been achieved /no error.
A B C D E
C. The trust has succeeded / admirably in raising / money for / its future programs/ no error.
A B C D E
D. The apparently obvious solutions / to most of his problems /were overlook by /many of his friends / no error.
A B C D E
E. By arresting the local criminals / and encouraging good people / we can end /hostilities of that area / no error.
A B C D E
4) Directions for Questions(a-e):
In each of the following questions, some sentence are given which are on the same theme. decide which sentence is the most preferable with respect to grammar; meaning and usage, suitable for formal writing in English. Find the correct sentence.
a. A) The dacoits being stopped to divide the booty, the police overtook them.
B) The dacoits having stopped to divide the booty, the police had overtaken them
C) The dacoits having stopped for dividing the booty, the police overtook them
D) The dacoits having been stopped for dividing the booty, the police overtook them
Ans : C
b. A) The harassed wife shot herself after bidding her husband the last good bye with a gun
B) The harassed wife with a gun shot herself after bidding her husband the last goodbye
C) The harassed wife shot herself with a gun after bidding her husband the last goodbye.
D) With a gun the harassed wife shot herself, after bidding her husband the last goodbye.
c. A) The receptionist must answer courteously the questions what are asked by the callers
B) The receptionist must answer courteously the questions of all the callers
C) The receptionist should answer courteously the questions of all callers
D) The receptionist courteously should answer the questions of all callers
E) There would have been no trouble if the receptionist had have always answered
d. A) If you had told me that you were in Bombay I had certainly contacted by you instead of getting bored there
B) If you had told me that you were in Bombay I would have certainly contacted you despite getting bored there.
C) If you had told me that you were in Bombay I would have certainly contacted you instead of getting bored there.
D) If you would have told me that you were in Bombay I had certainly contacted you instead of getting bored there
e . A) The teaching staff must take their lectures regularly when are asked by the Principal
B) The teaching staff had taken the lectures regularly had they known that the Principal would come to kno about it.
C) The teaching staff would have taken lectures regularly had they known that the Principal would know about it.
D) Many irregularities were found in their lectures by the Principal and he could not be
5) Directions for Questions (a-e):
In each of the following questions, a paragraph or a sentence has been broken up into different parts. The parts have been scrambled and numbered as given below. Choose the correct order of these parts from the given alternatives.
a. 1) not only for 2) but also for 3) lumbering 4) construction purposes 5) as an occupation
6) on modern lines 7) the manufacture of wood pulp. paper, resins etc.
8) owing to the great demand for timber 9) has developed
A) 3,9,6,5,8,1,4,2,7 B) 3,8,9,5,6,1,7,2,4 C) 3,5,9,6,8,1,4,2,7 D)5,3,9,6,8,1,7,2,4
b. 1) keeper of the 2) guardian of 3) as well as 4) The U.N.O is supposed to be the
5) the morally conceived 6) political conscience 7) expressly defined rights and duties of
sovereign states. 8) and
A) 4,1,7,3,2,5,8,6 B) 4,2,6,8,1,3,5,7 C) 4,1,6,8,2,5,3,7 D) 4,2,7,3,1,5,8,6
c. 1) it is of vital importance 2) if this can be prevented 3) since man depends for his
food 4) upon articles 5) that none of this soil should be wasted
6) produced from the earth's layer of fertile
A) 3,1,2,4,6,5 B) 3,1,5,4,6,2 C) 3,4,6,1,5,2 D) 3,5,1,2,6,4
Ans : C
d. 1) are free from 2) grow abundantly 3) low plants 4) Tundra regions 5) during short
summer 6) like mosses and lichens 7) and 8) ice
A) 3,6,2,5,7,4,1,8 B) 4,1,8,5,7,3,6,2 C) 5,3,6,2,7,4,1,8 D) 5,4,1,8,7,2,3,6
e. 1) Along the gutters is lingered, 2) its tired breath a pale of chrysanthemum about the
street lamps 3) sliding its warm tongue over silent pavements, 4) The gentle fox curled softly down 5) and rubbed its back against the huddled houses 6) then it curled up and
slept on corners 7) Slowly it rose and fell, 8) and pressing its blurred face aganist
shop- windows 9) It coiled its body around the black railings.
A) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 B) 2,9,6,8,5,7,4,3,1 C) 4,9,5,1,3,8,7,2,6 D) 9,6,8,5,7,1,4,2,3
2009-2016 downloadmela.com. All rights reserved.